A good day’s worth of sewing…

Thanks to a friend’s AccuCut machine, I was able to cut over six yards of fabric into 2 1/2″ strips in less than an hour. This would have taken me all day to do the regular way, using a ruler, cutting mat and rotary cutter.

Today, I concentrated on getting the strips sewn together, seams pressed, and then cut into 6 1/2″ segments. I got the first fabrics (coral, print and olive green) sewn together, pressed and cut. They’re stacked and ready to be laid out in the 3-Rail Fence pattern. I have a stack of leftover bits and pieces that I will use for a border, similar to the one I put on the yellow, gray and black Comfort Quilt I finished the other day. I want to get these tops finished before the Comfort Quilt meeting on the 22nd of this month. I should make it with time to spare.

IMG_2263

That said, I have quit sewing for the day. After ripping stitches out of the same two strips of fabric for the third time, I realized that I was tired and my brain had shut down for the day. The problem strip is laying in a huddle next to the other strips. I wanted to sew the strips with a light thread in the bobbin (for the pink fabric) and a dark blue thread on top (for the blue print). This was fine until it came time to add the dark navy blue strip. I tried sewing it from the left side (I have the right side of my machine bed marked for 1/4″ but no guide for the left. I figured (wrongly) that by moving the machine’s needle opposite to the position used for the right side, I would get 1/4″. Nope… after sewing about 6″ I checked my gauge. Nope. Stopped… picked up the seam ripper and began popping stitches. I didn’t want to take the time to fill a bobbin with dark blue thread. I was being lazy.

After putting the newly separated pieces back together again, and having changed out the upper thread, filled a bobbin with the dark navy blue thread and set the machine up for sewing 1/4″ seam on the right, I began stitching, thinking this was what I should have done to begin with. When I got to the end and cut my threads, I held the joined strip up and yep, I’d sewn the last strip to the wrong side. Arrrgh… out with the seam ripper … again! <sighs of exasperation here> Suddenly, I realized I just couldn’t do it. I couldn’t pull one more stitch out. I was done. So I come in here to write about my almost perfect day of sewing.

I will not let this deter me. I will finish these two quilt tops. Here’s a photo of the offending strips. The dark blue should be on the other side of the print. :/ Tomorrow’s another day and I’ll be able to finish one top tomorrow for sure.

IMG_2264

Be safe, be well, and please be happy. If you make a mistake, realize that you made a mistake and take steps to correct it. If you make the same mistake again, think about not doing what you’re doing for a while. Kick back… take a break… do something else for a bit. In the end, it will be beautiful…

Advertisements

About tehachap

The easiest way to define myself is as a very happily married woman with two sons and two grandsons. My hobbies include reading, writing, sewing, trains (watching, photographing and running them in G scale), and travel. My husband and I are retired and we spend our winters in Arizona. I used to own a secretarial and desktop publishing business, but closed it when my husband retired in 1999. We have truly enjoyed our retirement years, and have fulfilled one of our primary goals in life and that is to own a home overlooking train tracks so we can watch trains 24/7. We are sincerely blessed in this life.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to A good day’s worth of sewing…

  1. mageb says:

    I need to find out more about that cutter. My friend bobbie wants a quilt. I told her I had stopped, but she insists she likes green.

    Like

    • tehachap says:

      It’s slick… very, very easy to use: I put the cutting dye down on the aluminum platform/carrier tray, then add my six layers of fabric (accordion folded to the width of the cutter bed), put a clear flat plexiglass cover on top (as a sandwich). I insert the ‘sandwich’ into the machine and turn the hand crank. The machine pulls the whole sandwich through, cutting the fabric. When you get it all run through, you lift off the plastic plate, pull your strips up and shake them out to separate the outer edges (where the fabric was folded). Voila! You have 3×6 — 2 1/2″ strips cut to precision edges. Sweet!

      Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s