I have been having fits with my sewing machines. Granted, I shouldn’t be grumbling at having trouble with a machine when I have more than one, but if you can’t get it to sew, you may as well not even have it.
On to the explanation for the photo showing packets of sewing machine needles. How about this for a handy-dandy keeper for sewing machine needles? Each packet standing up in a row holds about 6-8 needles each, and the two along the side hold 8-10 needles each. Quite a collection. I researched why I was having such ugly stitching when the machine I was using supposedly had automatic/computerized fabric tension adjusting. I was using my Viking Sapphire 870Q, which is a quilter’s model sewing machine. I shouldn’t have been having problems with it as I’d just had it in the shop for servicing.
So I changed the needle. I had been keeping my needles in a Ziploc baggie… a real pain to have to pull all of them out, collect them in your hand as though you were getting ready to roll pennies, and sort through them. A juggle every time I needed to change my needle. Then the light bulb came on and I reached into the trash bin under the desk and retrieved the little plastic baby food container I had thrown out just the day before. Yep, the needle packets fit perfectly and it held every last one of them. Now all I have to do is look — the red packet is my Bernina needles — the rest are Schmetz (click on the link for a needle guide) or a universal brand, and being the ultra-obsessive person that I am, the needle packets are sorted according to size/use. No more digging through the baggie!
I learned that you need to match the needle size to the thread size else you may wind up with holes in your fabric (although the stitch will be there, there’ll be excess space around the thread, which means you’re using too large a needle.)
New needle installed, the stitching was still unsightly. I knew it should look better than this and I shouldn’t have trouble sewing more than two layers at a time. So I unplugged the machine, went out to the car and brought my Bernina back in and set it up. With the aid of a desk lamp (since the light socket is kaput), I sewed and sewed and sewed. Straight seams, neat stitches. It wasn’t the seamstress, it was the machine!
I’ve been considering selling the Viking here in Tehachapi, but if I don’t sell it here, I’ll take it to Arizona and use it for a trade-in on another Bernina. I know a lot of people are in love with the Viking, but I’m not one of them.
Here’s what I got accomplished between last night and today — two aprons finished and three Crayon Rolls made. The Bernina sewed over the elastic closure just like it was nothing. Excellent work!
Be safe, be well and please be happy. Be sure to tell those you love that you love them.